Is there any way to get into a course that you are far below even the fringe enter for and are ineligible for SEAS?

There are no longer full fee opportunities. other than waiting to get into another course and trying to transfer, is there any way?

Is it legal for a university to say OK - we'll take you if you call them up and beg them or something but do not qualify normally as per your ATAR?

Thank you.

Notice: Undefined index: title in /home3/wmroi/public_html/merspi.com.au/qa-theme/NewMerspi/qa-theme.php on line 1251

3 Answers

You could get in on the "middle band" where they take into consideration your prerequisite subjects and you get "bonus points" added ontop of your enter aggregate for getting into that subject.

So if you want to do a science course, you may get an extra aggregate point for completing chemistry over someone who hasn't (where chemistry isnt a prerequisite for this imaginary course, if it was a pre-req... everyone would get the bonus mark and it would be kind of pointless)

However i suspect by "far below" you mean dramatically below...

You may be able to get in on something called an "irregular offer"; however to be realistic, this is provisional on the course having any places left in the later rounds, if it is a popular course, you may not get in.

It is a chance though and i think you should take it.

Alternatively there may be various pathways and diplomas depending on the university offering the course and the actual course itself.

Alternatively you could do some year 12 subjects again via distance education or some kind of tafe in effort to boost up your enter and apply again at the end of next year.

Notice: Undefined index: title in /home3/wmroi/public_html/merspi.com.au/qa-theme/NewMerspi/qa-theme.php on line 1251
The reality about SEAS is that if helps in certain ways. THe average so far is around 5-6 enter below the required ENTER. Even if there is full fee placements, your ENTER still cannot be substantially below what is required. Often, I think its a good idea to call the University and ask to speak to relevant people in relation to your query. However, do not beg cause the University simply don't buy it as there are I am sure many who does in the same fashion hoping to get an offer. If worse comes, I advice to re-do another year of VCE and get a higher ENTER, thats if you really want to get into a specific course and lacking behind in your ENTER.

Good luck


Notice: Undefined index: title in /home3/wmroi/public_html/merspi.com.au/qa-theme/NewMerspi/qa-theme.php on line 1251
Hi there,

My name is Nicola and I work at Swinburne University in Melbourne.

I'd just like to comment further about various pathways through TAFE which help students get to where they want to be.

Because Swinburne is a university and a TAFE, you don't need to worry about your ATAR, there's always an option for you through our guaranteed pathways into university.

There are also other TAFE institutions which can act as a starting point for you, but it's important to remember there are alternatives to get you into the course and career you'd like to pursue, but the way you get there is slightly different!

In most cases, you won't be starting from scratch. A TAFE qualification can act as credit towards a degree which will reduce the time it takes to finish. You can search through all TAFE courses offered in Victoria here: http://www.tafe.vic.gov.au/tafecourses/find.htm

If you'd like to find out more about Swinburne's guaranteed pathways, you can find all the details on our website, http://www.swinburne.edu.au/ges or you can use the VTAC course search to find out about other institutions in Melbourne, http://www.vtac.edu.au

Notice: Undefined index: title in /home3/wmroi/public_html/merspi.com.au/qa-theme/NewMerspi/qa-theme.php on line 1251